Many of us love to show off our snaps, but there are times when you want to keep certain pictures from others, perhaps because they’re personal or inappropriate. It’s in situations like this when the ability to hide photos on your iPhone becomes invaluable, especially if you have children who often use your phone or friends who are known to snoop.
More: Find out which has a better camera: The iPhone 7 Plus, or the Google Pixel
Here, we’ll detail how to hide your personal images on your iPhone, and recommend a couple of apps that add more security to the media you’ve decided to lock away.
Hiding photos on your iPhone using built-in features
The quickest way to hide photos on your iPhone is also the easiest, namely because it doesn’t require any additional software. The method outlined below comes directly from Apple, and works with the iPad and iPod Touch as well. Keep in mind, however, that this only keeps photos from appearing in the Moments, Years, and Collections views. Hidden photos will still be visible when browsing your Albums.
- Open the Photos app.
- Tap the photo(s) you want to hide.
- Tap the Share icon in the bottom-left corner and select Hide.
- Tap Hide Photo to confirm your decision. Hidden photos will be placed in a new Album folder called Hidden.
- If you’re using iCloud Photo Library, any photos hidden on your iPhone will also be hidden on other devices, including the iPad, iPod Touch, Mac, and iCloud.com.
Unhiding photos on your iPhone using built-in features
Making photos visible again is just as easy as hiding them, and can be done directly on your iPhone. Doing so also affects your iCloud Photo Library.
- Open the Photos app and go to the Albums.
- Tap the Hidden folder — you may need to scroll to find it.
- Select the photo you want to make visible again.
- Tap the Share icon and select Unhide.
- If you unhide all photos in the Hidden folder, the folder will automatically be removed.
Hiding photos on your iPhone using apps
The first method we described may be the easiest way to hide photos on your iPhone, but it’s not the most secure. Thankfully, there are a number of apps that can hide your photos and videos, thus rendering them inaccessible to prying eyes. Many of them allow you to set up passcodes or other security measures, making them harder to access. Below are a couple of our favorites.
Private Photo Vault
Private Photo Vault lives up to its name. The app allows you to lock your photos away so that only you, or someone you trust, can get to them. Both the app and whatever albums you make within the app can be fortified with a password, and you can even set up a decoy password to ward off anyone trying to gain access without your knowledge. You can also import and export images from Photos app, sync them with iTunes, email or text images, and carry out a host of other actions. The app features a private browser, too, which you can use to download images directly to the app. Best of all, if someone other than you or a trusted friend tries to break into your vault, the app will notify you. It even provides a photo of the person who tried to access your stash and their GPS location.